Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Do not Despise the Holy Spirit

Tuesday 21 April
READ: 1 Thess 5:19 – 21
MORE LESSON: Eph. 4:29-30

It is a common practice among some believers that any where they see the Spirit of God in a way that they do not understand or have not seen before, they immediately take up a judgmental attitude and start condemning it. It is very important that we retain an attitude of openness and reverence to the manifestation of the Holy Spirit both in our lives and our congregations. When we see people moved by the Holy Spirit in our midst we should not be quick to brand them as wrong, weird or operating by strange spirits. The Church of Christ has become rigid against any move of the Spirit, because in a bid to be cautious against fake manifestations, we suspect every move of God. Caution for believers is strongly advised and necessary but we should be open to and encourage the genuine move of the Holy Spirit through tested and proven people and congregations.

In Matt 12:31-32, Jesus healed a man possessed by an evil spirit and some people started judging Him in their hearts that it was a demonic power that He used. He warned them that they were sinning against the Holy Spirit. Similarly, whenever you condemn the words, works or actions of a genuine servant of God acting under the direction of the Holy Spirit, you are despising the Holy Spirit. In the early days of my ministry, I preached on the Holy Ghost in a church where there was a very critical professor and his wife who ran down everything I preached. They stood up after my sermon and chided me and also condemned speaking in tongues and every manifestation of the Holy Spirit that I preached on. Even though some people started speaking in tongues in the meeting without me laying hands on them, some were skeptical and despised the move of the Spirit that day.

Two weeks later the man and his wife came to my house and started pleading that they were sorry for what they did. I told them not to worry because I didn't take it against them, it was God they opposed; not me. Then they opened up and showed me the arm of the wife which developed leprosy soon after their verbal attack on me in their church. When I saw the affliction, compassion welled up inside me, and I made them realize that I knew nothing about what happened to them, neither did I pray against them.

The truth is that despising the Holy Spirit is a very dangerous thing. They repented and told me that they now believed in the Holy Ghost. I didn't know what to say but I just pleaded with God for mercy and anointed them with oil. God is merciful: He healed that woman.

Today do not grieve, despise or disobey the Holy Spirit. And in case you have in any way despised any servant of God who acted or spoke under the anointing of the Holy Spirit, I want you to know that there is still mercy for you. God will show mercy if you repent.

Prayer/Action
* Ask The Lord to forgive you, if you have in any way despised the Spirit in word or action any time past.
* Ask God for divine wisdom to differentiate genuity of spirits and instructions.
* Say to the Holy Spirit, “I reverence and adore you”.

PROPHETIC PRAYER
I shall delight myself in the Lord, and He shall fight my battles and make my enemies His enemies always.

0 comments:

Post a Comment