Monday, April 28, 2014

The Zeal of the Lord of Hosts

READ: Jn.2:12-17
MORE LESSONS: Rom. 12: 9-11
Bible Reading in One Y ear: Judges 5-8

Zeal is not only a human affair; even God has zeal. God can do things with zeal. There are acts of God in which He engages all His zeal. . . . The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this: Isa 9:7. God has zeal to bless. When you are zealous for God you court His zeal to respond to you in blessing. With zeal He can also cause His fury against your enemies to end. Thus shall mine anger be accomplished, and I will cause my fury to rest upon them, and I will be comforted: and they shall know that I the LORD have spoken it in my zeal, when I have accomplished my fury in them. Eze. 5: 13. When our Lord Jesus walked the earth, He burned with the zeal of the Lord of Hosts in everything He did. Once, He used a cane to drive out all those who were selling and buying in church. He said, And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise: John 2: 16. The zeal with which He operated that day is what is called 'zeal for the house of the Lord'. It is because God is a zealous God that He demands of us to be zealous.
In the Scripture there is a disciple of Jesus whose surname was Zealot, Simon the Zealot. He was so zealous that the word zeal was added to his name. Zeal is borne out of what a man knows and what he is pursuing with all he has. Zeal must be accompanied by accurate and correct knowledge. Some people often put all their strength, ability and life into a certain course but they are doing the wrong thing. The problem is not the zeal but the lack of knowledge. We should be zealous but we must also be teachable and go for the right knowledge. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. . . to him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne: Rev 3:19-2. From this Scripture reference, we see that zealousness is a requirement for those who want to make heaven. The Bible says to repent of your past lack of zeal and be zealous. May the zeal of the Lord of Hosts consume you in fellowship, in evangelism and every assignment you do for the Lord.
Slothfulness is the opposite of zealousness and it is what we see in many of God's children today. God deserves more than this and actually detests slothfulness. We must serve God with zeal and commitment and only then will there be good reward for our work.

Prayer/Action
* Repent of any slothful past attitude to the things of God.
* Pray that commitment to the things of God will be a priority in your life.
* Ask God to grant you a fervent spirit to serve Him.

Like and Share!

0 comments:

Post a Comment