Friday, September 11, 2015

The Mouth or the Tongue

Friday 11 September
READ: Prov.12:13-25
MORE LESSON: Matt. 15: 11

The most important organ in the mouth is the tongue; Although it is one of the smallest organs in the body, it affects it more than any other. The Bible describes it thus: Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison: James 3:5,6,8. When the tongue is not regenerated, it is uncontrollable. It is only the tongue of a man who has experienced the second birth or spiritual birth that is controllable. It is a very important organ for worshipping and blessing God. A tongue devoted to God can accomplish much.

You have probably heard someone said: “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me”. This is not true because while sticks and stones can bring instant injury and pain, words can produce even worse and longer – lasting hurt. Words can go much deeper and cause pain that lasts a life time. Such words as, “I don't love you. You are a failure. You are bad. I hate you”, can affect good relationships in a negative way and do permanent damage. Some people have been so deeply wounded that they are unable to accept words such as “I love you. You are special. I appreciate you”.

Our text today from the book of Proverbs, urges us to watch our words because an unregenerated tongue is the source of lying, cursing, evil, pride, unfaithfulness, vanity and foolishness (Psa, 63: 11; Psa. 10:7; Psa. 50:19; Psa. 5:9). All these can bring a man into great danger on earth and take them to the lake of fire in eternity. The psalmist in Psa. 34:12-13 said, What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile. Longevity, good years, and full ripe age all come from the use of the tongue and not just our diet. The best diet for a good life is taming the tongue, which is only possible by yielding it to God in prayer like the psalmist did. Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer: Psa. 19:14. Words can't break bones, but they can break hearts. Watch what you say.

Prayer/Action
* Today, I yield my tongue totally to the control of the Holy Spirit, in Jesus’ name.
* Father, help me to use my tongue profitably and properly, in Jesus’ name.
* I apply the blood of Jesus to my heart and tongue today, in Jesus’ name.

PROPHETIC PRAYER
In the name of Jesus, I decree that Satan and his agents shall have no memorial in my new month; it is the Lord’s month.


0 comments:

Post a Comment