Saturday, April 15, 2017

Soldier of the Cross II

Saturday 15 April
READ: II Sam. 11:8-17
MORE LESSONS: II Tim. 2:1-5

Another strong lesson from the story of David and Uriah is Uriah’s loyalty and commitment. That is the mark of a true soldier, physical or spiritual. As a committed soldier, when Uriah was shortlisted for battle, he did not argue, decline or escape. Again, when King David invited Uriah home from the battlefield, loaded him with a mess of meat v8, the Bible says, But Uriah slept at the door of the king's house with all the servants of his lord, and went not down to his house v9. When confronted by the king and the commander - in - chief of the army, ...Uriah said unto David, The ark, and Israel, and Judah, abide in tents; and my lord Joab, and the servants of my lord, are encamped in the open fields; shall I then go into mine house, to eat and to drink, and to lie with my wife? as thou livest, and as thy soul liveth, I will not do this thing: v11. That is a true and committed soldier who regarded God's assignment above his person and comfort. Do we still have such soldiers today? As if that was not enough, the king made Uriah drunk but Uriah ...went not down to his house v13. Can a man be intoxicated and still keep character? Uriah did!
Let us examine Uriah as a loyal soldier, And it came to pass in the morning, that David wrote a letter to Joab, and sent it by the hand of Uriah. ...Set ye Uriah in the forefront of the hottest battle, and retire ye from him, that he may be smitten, and die: vs 14-15. Uriah carried his death sentence(letter) in his hand and it did not bother him to open and read the content especially in the light of all the strange things his boss had done earlier. Uriah chose not to suspect his leader, nor was he disobedient for any reason; he chose to live as a soldier, always obedient and ready to die at his post.
Uriah seemed to have died a foolish man's death but not so; he was just being a true soldier. Jesus also was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, He opened not his mouth. That is the true mark of a soldier indeed, obedience and loyalty at all costs. I pray for you as I pray for myself today, May we be true soldiers of the cross, ready at all times to say ‘YES’ to the cross (pain) of our faith. A song writers says, ... I will do as he bids me, no matter the cost, I live as a soldier, I die at my post. That is the testimony I want to die with. A soldier of the cross.

Prayer/Action
* Father, make me a true soldier of the cross, in the name of Jesus.
* Pray that character of truth, loyalty and commitment will not be lacking in your life, in the mighty name of Jesus.

TODAY'S PROPHETIC PRAYER
I shall walk in the light of God's Word and nothing shall by any means offend my destiny, in the name of Jesus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment