Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Love Jesus More than These


TEXT: Jn. 21:1-15, MORE LESSONS: Matt. 10:37-39

We concluded yesterday by asking Jesus question to Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?: v15. As I examined the 3 times Jesus asked, “Lovest thou me?”, I concluded that Jesus was asking Peter to compare his love for Him (Jesus) with every other thing around him and tell Him which one he (Peter) loves most. This was Peter who had earlier on said, And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death: Lk. 22:33. In fact, he went as far as cutting off the ears of one of the people who came to arrest Jesus (Jn. 18:10) to prove his love and commitment. Yet Jesus had not been dead for any length of time and Peter had taken everybody away back to their old life of fishing. Now Jesus stood by the lake and wondered if this Peter loved Him indeed. Would continue to be the fisher of men that he had been called to?
The bandwagon effect of Peter's life must have also bothered Jesus. In verse 3, Peter said, …I go a fishing… and the whole team of apostles, the people Jesus spent all His life nourishing, mentoring and building, immediately went down with Peter. They said unto him, we also go with thee: v3. And friend, it was not a joke. Everybody went back to his old life courtesy of only one man and leader of the people. Jesus knew that He did not have to speak to everybody, He needed the commitment of just that one man and leader
– Peter, and everybody else will fall in line so He concentrated on Peter.
Today, I hear Jesus asking everybody, not the leaders alone, lovest thou me more than these? The fishing instrument, the money making ventures, the shops, children, building projects landed properties, profession, beauty, fashion, career, marriage, job, cars, family etc; do you love me more than them? Remember, Jesus said, He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me: Matt. 10:37. However, Jesus also said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life: Mk. 10:29-30.
How many things are you willing to sacrifice for Jesus' sake? That is the only proof that you love Him more than these.

PRAYER / ACTION
* Pray that nothing will ever rule your life above the Lord.
* Rededicate your life to God's sacrifice and promise Him you will live all your life for Him alone.
* Pray for all our spiritual leaders, that they will never take wrong decisions that will affect the Church of Jesus.
Like and share

0 comments:

Post a Comment